Update your Shopify store theme, allow you to use the new features and keep growing your business. If you want to update your Shopify store theme without losing data and website look, you are landing on the right blog page.
We have been helping grow and consult Shopify businesses about any design and development changes they need on their store for the last 5 years.
With our experience and expertise, we write this guide to help Shopify businesses easily update the current theme.
Let's jump to the guide.
Here is the step by step guide on:
How to update theme in Shopify?
- First, log in to your Shopify account and go to the "Online Store" section of your Shopify admin panel.
In the "Online Store" section, click on "Themes".
In the Themes section, you should see a list of all the themes you have installed on your Shopify store. Locate the theme you want to update and click on the "Actions" or "Three Dots" button beside it as shown in image below.
From the drop-down menu, select "Duplicate".
- A new copy of your Shopify theme will be created. Rename it to indicate that it is the updated version of your previous theme.
In the new theme, click on the "Actions" button again and select "Edit code".
- In the Edit code section, you will see a list of all the files that make up your theme. Look for the files that need to be updated.
- To update a file, click on its name to open it in the editor. Make the necessary changes to the code.
- Once you've made your changes, save the file.
- Repeat steps 8-9 for all the files you need to update.
- After you have finished updating your theme, go back to the "Themes" section of your Shopify admin panel and click on the "Actions" button for the new theme.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Publish".
- A warning message will appear, telling you that publishing the theme will override the current live theme. Click on "Publish" to confirm that you want to publish the updated theme.
- Your updated theme is now live on your Shopify store.
After following the steps above, you can update any Shopify store theme.
The other method you can use to update the theme is using the app.
Update Shopify Theme Using an App
You can also update the theme using an app. This guide considers the Shopify theme updater plus app, which is very good for updating any Shopify theme.
You can download the Shopify Theme Updater Plus from the Shopify app store.
When you use third-party apps, it will save you time and customization efforts. When the theme update is available, it will notify you and update it with just one click.
The Shopify theme updater app updates the Shopify theme and all its components and only publishes the new version of the theme once you publish it manually.
Here are the steps:
Update the Shopify theme using the "Theme Updater Plus App"
Install the app from Shopify app store before follow any steps ahead.
- Go to Theme Updater App and click on the Update button.
- Now you can see the "Update Theme" option on the app dashboard.
- Now click the update button, and the theme will be updated automatically.
The app saves the updated unpublished theme version until you publish the app.
- You can test and preview the updated theme version and compare it with the previous version. Also can make some changes.
- After testing the theme thoroughly, you can publish the new updated version by going to Online Store>Themes and clicking on Actions>Update Theme>Publish.
Note: Theme registration required to update the theme.
If you still need assistance with the Shopify theme update, then you can book a free consultation here:
If you want to update the Shopify theme is up to you. This guide is helpful if you have some knowledge of the Shopify backend or admin panel. Contact us for assistance if you are new to working with Shopify admin.
Other Shopify Theme Update Related Question Answers
Shopify is a platform continuously growing, developing, and updating its apps, themes, and platform so ecommerce businesses like yours can grow fast, generate maximum revenue, and get other benefits. Read this post to know how Shopify theme updating benefits your business.
Updating the Shopify theme is not easy. It can be hectic if you know little about your Shopify store content, functionality, and custom code snippets. You can encounter issues, bugs, and a distorted layout structure during the Shopify theme update.
It's essential to update your Shopify theme regularly to keep your website secure and fix bugs while adding new features. But be cautious when updating, and test the new theme thoroughly before making it live.