The name of your store is an element of the brand identity that represents your business and its products. A good domain name should be short, relevant, and unique.
The first thing you should do when choosing a domain name is to make sure it's available. You can check this by typing in different variations of the name into Google Search or another search engine (e.g., "T-shirt") or the Namevine website. If there are no results from these searches, then chances are good that no one else has claimed that domain name yet!
Why You Need to Change Store Domain Name?
Here are the some reasons you need to change domain name.
- Rebranding: A company or organization may change its name, and therefore need to update its website's domain name to match.
- Legal issues: The original domain name may be infringing on a trademark or copyrighted term, and the website owner may need to change it to avoid legal action.
- Improved SEO: A website owner may choose a new domain name that includes keywords relevant to their business or industry in order to improve their search engine rankings.
- Simplicity: The current domain name may be hard to spell or remember, and a new domain name may be simpler and easier for customers to find.
- Merger or acquisition: When companies merge or one company acquires another, they may choose to create a new website with a new domain name.
To change the domain name for your Shopify store, you'll need to follow these steps:
- Purchase the new domain name from a domain registrar, such as GoDaddy or Namecheap.
- Log in to your Shopify account and go to the "Online Store" section in the left-hand menu.
- In the "Domains" section, click on "Connect existing domain."
- Enter the new domain name and click "Next."
- Follow the instructions to connect the domain to your Shopify store. This may include updating the DNS settings with your domain registrar.
- Once the domain is connected, go to the "Settings" section in the left-hand menu and click on "General."
- In the "Store URL" section, select the new domain name from the drop-down menu.
- Click "Save" to update your store's URL.
Please note that it may take up to 24-48 hours for the changes to propagate across the internet.
Changing your Shopify store domain name is not a good idea more often. But as the reasons mentioned above, sometimes you need to do this; then you can do it for sure. When you change the domain name, you should have to redirect each URL to the new URL to avoid the 404 page not found error that can harm your revenue, which needs to do perfectly. So if you don't want to lose traffic and ranking, hire our Shopify developer who has been serving for the last five years.