How to generate sales through Shopify stores is a question that bothers every Shopify business owner in 2023. The answer to this question is not simple.
To generate sales, you need to optimize the store's every aspect, optimize the user experience to boost conversion, make the website SEO-friendly, target the right audience, generate an email list, do the right paid marketing, and catch up the target audience at the right social media platform.
At Ecomheroes, We have a team of Shopify expert designers, developers, and marketers helping Shopify businesses maximize conversion rate, profit, and ROI.
To make your Shopify business succeed, we do an in-depth store analysis and study of your business and then create a report of the actions, changes, and modifications your store needs. Our actions and study include the following:
- Store UX audit
- Retargeting audiences
- Effective marketing strategy build-up
- Enhancing website user experience
- Improving website look and feel
- Building customer data
Future of Ecommerce Business and Opportunities Worldwide
Image source : Insider Intelligence
According to a report published by Insider Intelligence, retail eCommerce sales will reach $8.148 trillion with a compound annual growth rate(CAGR) of 12% by the end of 2026.
So there are great possibilities to earn profit and do a successful business in the retail industry. Other interesting stats about retail business are:
- It is predicted that 95% of all purchases will be made online by 2040.
- Despite the 23% annual growth of the eCommerce sector, 46% of American small companies still don't have websites.
- Globally, 93.5% of internet users have made online purchases.
- Revenue increases by 760% due to segmented email marketing to subscribers.
- An online store's sales are typically 32% higher when it has a social media presence than when it doesn't.
- 74% of consumers use social media to research products before purchasing.
- During the holiday season, cell phones are used for 40% of all internet sales.
Latest Online Shopping and Retail Statistics of United States(US)
Image Source: Oberlo
- According to Oberlo, by 2023, it's estimated that 218.8 million US consumers will shop online.
- In order to find deals, compare prices, and read product reviews, 28% of US customers use their mobile phones in physical stores.
- Before making an online purchase, 81% of shoppers seek research online.
- When choosing what to buy, 83% of consumers consider the quality of the customer service.
- 65% of U.S. retailers offer digital profiles across numerous shopping channels.
Why are there no sales on your Shopify store?
To generate sales on your Shopify ecommerce store, we first need to understand the possible reasons behind not generating sales.
Let's examine and analyze the reason that is dissembling your store sales.
Here are the top 10 potential reasons for not getting sales
- Imperfect website design or user experience
- Inadequate or unattractive product photos and descriptions
- Lack of trust signals, such as customer reviews or security badges
- Insufficient marketing or advertising efforts
- Ineffective pricing or discount strategies
- Inadequate or unattractive product selection
- Poor customer service or shipping options
- Lack of social media presence or engagement
- Low website traffic or search engine visibility
- Failure to differentiate your brand from competitors
Let's discuss each in-depth one by one.
Imperfect website design or user experience
50% of people think that a company's overall brand is impacted by the website's design. One of the main reasons users bounce back from a website is outdated design, according to 38.5% of web designers (Source: GoodFirms).
So, website design is one of the essential factors for running a successful e-commerce business. To avoid bad website design practices, make your store easy to use, have visible fonts, intuitive graphics, the latest layout, fast-loading pages, easy website structure, navigation, and real and impactful product descriptions.
Inadequate or unattractive product photos and description
75% of online shoppers look at product photos to make a purchase. If you use high-quality product images, then 40% is likely to be shared on social media. 87% of online buyers place a high value on product descriptions as vital for deciding on a purchase.
So, having the right dimensions, product focus, multiple angles, and high-resolution product photos on your Shopify store are important for business success.
Lack of trust signals, such as customer reviews or security badges
Testimonials can boost sales page conversions by 34%.
According to HubSpot, the typical buyer checks 10 online reviews before making a decision.
User reviews are more trusted by 88% than personal recommendations.
If you are not using the social proofs and reviews on your Shopify store. You can fail to convert most of the potential buyers into successful leads even after they land in your store.
Insufficient marketing or advertising efforts
If your store is not generating sales, one potential reason is that you are not using paid and influencer marketing. These are the most effective and quickest way to generate instant sales on your Shopify store.
93% of marketers have used influencer marketing in campaigns, which is now recognized as a crucial advertising tactic.
Ineffective pricing or discount strategies
Your product prices should be optimized and lower than other online stores. Ineffective pricing can hurt the sales and conversion rate of your Shopify store. An optimized and tested discount strategy is the best way to boost the conversion rate and increase sales.
Before completing a purchase, 59% of consumers look for discounts, and more than 64% wait until they can get a deal.
Inadequate or unattractive product selection
Selecting the trending and demanding products is important if you want to do a profitable business. Most ecommerce businesses fail because of inadequate or unattractive product selection at the start of the business.
Poor customer service or shipping options
85% of online buyers claim that a bad delivery experience would discourage them from placing another order with that online merchant. According to 62% of US online shoppers, fast delivery is crucial to a satisfying shopping experience (Insider Intelligence)
Poor customer service is the biggest source of nuisance for 27% of Americans. Online buyers claim that 68% are willing to pay more for goods and services from companies with a reputation for providing excellent customer support.
So keep an eye on the shipping provider and the customer service if you want to increase the sales to your Shopify store.
Lack of social media presence or engagement
You are already out of business if you are not on social media. Social media has great potential to showcase your products and sell them to potential buyers.
Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube have 2.96 billion, 2.291 billion, and 1.2 billion monthly active users, respectively. Online stores with a social presence have 32% more sales than stores that don't use social media.
Low website traffic or search engine visibility
Low website traffic is another potential reason for the lack of sales. Organic traffic is low when your website is not performing well in search results.
To increase the visibility and website ranking, optimize your store for mobile because 70.58% of traffic comes from the mobile on e-commerce websites.
Failure to differentiate your brand from competitors
If you fail to differentiate your brand from competitors it also causes a loss of sales on your Shopify store. A "differentiate strategy" is a way to stand out from the competition and give your audience enough reason to choose your products over other brands.
The best way to differentiate your brand is to consider what value proposition or USP your products have and market them effectively.
After reading all the ten reasons, do any of them resonate with you? If yes, then you find the reason behind not getting enough sales.
Now, here you need to hire Shopify experts to fix them. At Ecomheros, we provide Shopify website design and development services and help Shopify store owners to grow their businesses.
We can fix any of the issues above and a few of them in minutes.
How to Generate Sales Through Shopify Store in 2023?
We have worked for the last five years in the e-commerce industry, especially in Shopify. During this period, we analyzed, explored, researched, tried, and tested so many plans and strategies to create sales on the different Shopify ecommerce websites.
Now we want to share our experience and knowledge with you. So, check our strategy to get sales to your Shopify store.
Tried and Tested 10 Strategies For How to Generate Sales Through Shopify Stores
Here are the strategies to generate sales through your Shopify store in 2023.
- Use pop ups to convert traffic
- Add trust signals
- Use social media platforms for promotions
- Reached out to bloggers and influencers
- Create an effective e-mail marketing strategy
- Run paid ads
- Provide discounts and coupons
- Offer free shipping
- Use cross-selling & upselling strategies
- Optimize Shopify store
To understand how to use these strategies, let's discuss them individually.
#1 Use pop ups to convert traffic
Popups are the best way to convert your traffic to buyers and increase sales in your store.
Popups' average conversion rate is 11.09 percent (Source: Optimonk). It means 55 converts out of the 500 visitors.
Conversion rates of different types of popups
- Conversion rates for cart abandonment popups are 17.12%.
- There is a 13.23% conversion rate for Lucky Wheels.
- Pop Ups asking for feedback have a 12.62% conversion rate.
- Popups for seasonal offers have a conversion rate of 11.88%.
- Campaigns for growing Facebook Messenger lists have a conversion rate of 10.09%.
- Conversion rises to 7.65% when a discount is offered for a newsletter subscription.
You can add a popup to your Shopify store with the help of Shopify apps, or you can hire a Shopify designer and developer to create and customize popups for your store.
We list the top 5 Shopify pop-up apps
Rivo Popups ‑ Email Pop ups
Rivo Popups app is one of the top rated popup apps. Use this popup to build an email list and show discounts using intuitive popup designs.
Price - Free
Reviews - 3,755
Rating (5) - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Smile: Loyalty & Rewards
Smile Loyalty and Reward popup app, as the name sounds, you can create popups to start loyalty and rewards programs and convert your first time customers into regular customers.
Price - Free and paid
Reviews - 4,888
Rating (4.8) - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Sales Popup Conversion Pro
Sales Popup Conversion Pro app, you can create sales popup, sold counters, countdown timers, quick views with trust badges, and stock countdown and announcement bars with this app.
Price - Free and paid
Reviews - 4,161
Rating (4.8) - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- POP! Sales & Live Activity Pop
POP! Sales & Live Activity Pop app shows your visitors recent sales through the popups and encourages them to make purchases. This will boost the conversion rate and trigger users to perform an activity.
Price - Free and paid
Reviews - 7,355
Rating (4.8) - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- Privy ‑ Pop Ups, Email, & SMS
Privy - Pop Ups, Email, & SMS is the top rated pop up app in the Shopify app store. This is a multipurpose app that increases sales by creating pop ups, emails, and SMS marketing.
Price - Free and paid
Reviews - 24,838
Rating (4.8) - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
#2 Add trust signals
Trust signals are the indicators that show the Shopify store is trustworthy and authoritative. In E-commerce websites with no trust signal, nearly 70% of carts are abandoned on average.
So, adding trust signals to Shopify store boost your conversion rate and increase the sales.
Here are the trust signals that you can use on your online store.
- Case studies
- Live chat option
- Customer support service
- Social proof statistics
- Client or customers logos
- Partnership and co-branded logos
- Real time purchase popups
- Trust badges
- SSL certificate
- Include social media links
- Clear privacy and policy
- About us page
- Contact information
#3 Use social media platforms for promotions
Leverage the power of social media platforms. There are more than 6.3 billion monthly active users on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. So you can promote your products and services through these platforms to a wide range of audiences.
Why should your e-commerce business be on social media?
- Estimated 2023 Global Social Commerce Sales of $1.298 Billion.
- Users Spend 2+ Hours on Social Media every day.
- About 43% of Gen Z women have bought a product via social networks, compared to only 37% of men in this age group.
- It’s expected that by 2025 the United States will have about 108 million social buyers.
#4 Reached out to bloggers and influencers
You can reach out to bloggers and influencers to boost traffic and sales and promote your Shopify store products. You can contact them by email or direct message them on the social media platform they are on.
Note: Before contacting any bloggers and influencers, research their audience type, audience size, and niche. In the case of Instagram, you can analyze how many followers they have and the impression they get on the latest posts.
According to BusinessWire, 61% of consumers trust influencers' recommendations.
Image source: Shopify
#5 Create an effective e-mail marketing strategy
Create an effective email marketing strategy and keep it very simple. 80% of business experts believe that email marketing enhances client retention, and 59% of respondents claim that marketing emails impact their purchasing decisions.
The expected average ROI is $40 for every $1 you spend on an email marketing campaign.
Image Source: Oberlo
#6 Run paid ads
Paid ads are the quickest way to generate sales on your Shopify store. The right way to create an effective strategy is to find the right target keywords, build a campaign, run it with a small amount of money and then test and analyze it.
Here are some reasons you should run paid ads.
- Paid ads increase visibility and allow you to target the most interested people who want to purchase specific products.
- The quickest way to boost traffic on your Shopify store with the highest conversion rate.
- You can control who can see your products based on demographics like age, gender, and location.
Below is the example of how Google Ads look in SERPs.
Image source: Google
#7 Provide discounts and coupons
Discounts and coupons are an effective strategy to boost sales and conversion rates on any Shopify store. People love to buy products when they get attractive discounts and coupons.
How do discounts and coupons generate sales on Shopify store?
- About 93 per cent of online buyers use a coupon or discount code in a year.
- There is an increase of 73% in sales when you offer discounts and bonuses.
You can get help from the article below to create an effective discount strategy to generate sales on the Shopify store.
Discount Pricing Strategies and Tactics
#8 Offer free shipping
Free shipping increases your Shopify store's conversion rate and average order value.
You can read the article below to set up shipping rates on your Shopify store.
Setting up shipping rates
#9 Use cross-selling & upselling strategies
Cross-selling is a strategy to sell additional products with the product buyers have already bought. For cross-selling, you must understand what auxiliary products you can sell with the main product.
Cross-selling encourages buyers to purchase more products, increasing overall purchase value and generating more revenue.
Upselling is a marketing tactic that triggers buyers to purchase the better version of the products. Car variants and mobile versions are the best example of upselling. It increases the average order (AOV) value and maximizes the profit of the Shopify store.
Here are the best Shopify apps for Cross-selling and upselling:
#10 Optimize Shopify store
Lastly, optimizing your Shopify store strategy is the most important strategy to generate sales on your Shopify store. Your Shopify store should be optimized in every following area.
Optimize product pages
Optimizing product images, titles, and descriptions generates more sales for your Shopify store. According to Insider Intelligence, 83% of buyers say product images influence their purchase decision. 82% of customers accept that product specification and description influence their buying decision.
So use high-quality product images. Write short and easy-to-understand product descriptions that include product USP and uses.
Optimize Shopify store loading speed
Website loading speed is an essential factor in ranking your pages in the search engine, so if you want to increase organic traffic, then make sure your website should load within 3 seconds.
Stats about website loading speed
According to Skilled
- Six seconds or fewer is what 64% of smartphone users expect a website to load in.
- Online buyers (47%) anticipate websites to load in two seconds or less.
- 79% of customers who are "dissatisfied" with a site's bad loading speed are less interested to make another purchase from them.
- 40% of customers will leave an e-commerce site in less than 3 seconds.
- A reduction of 1 second in load time yields a 5.6% rise in conversion rate.
Make an effective SEO strategy
According to ThinkWithGoogle, over 60% of buyers use Google searches to buy products online.
Check out the best SEO practices for ecommerce sites, according to Google.